Turning Off and Casting On

Is there anyone out there who doesn’t have a love/hate relationship with Facebook?

Over a year ago, my husband gave up Facebook. Since then, he’s written a book, finished several embroidery projects, read goodness-knows-how-many pages, completed P90X, and taken up stamp collecting. Until today, I remained on Facebook. I can barely keep my six geraniums alive, I’ve gained three kilos, my reading/attention span are in the dumps, and the house is littered with yarn ends that I tucked in, snipped, and never bothered to throw away.

So I’ve declared August a Facebook-free month. I’ll still be updating (at least theoretically) my Work Even and Balkanite pages. But my personal profile will be gone for a bit. I may stay off for longer than a month, or I may return in September. In the meantime, I need to refocus, give my eyes and neurons a break from social media, and buckle down on some projects that are very meaningful to me. For starters, I have two sleeveless tops on the needles that are nearly finished!

What are your feelings about social media? How has it added to– or taken away from– how you spend your time? Are you doing anything to unplug this summer?

13 thoughts on “Turning Off and Casting On

1. Marie August 1, 2016 / 12:15 pm

I hate FB more than love it on most days, and that only gets worse as I get older. I actually temporarily deleted my account once, only to end up regretting it simply because it was the biggest way for my friends to get ahold of me and it felt a little lonely.

I like the idea of a Facebook-free August, or at least a very limited month. I won’t delete it, because of what happened last time, but I’ll certainly log out and force myself to stop feeling compelled to look at it so often.

• Huelo August 2, 2016 / 7:45 pm

Interesting, that’s been my husband’s biggest complaint too, that with FB it’s much harder to stay in touch with his friends. I’ll keep you updated on my FB detox, a few other friends are doing it and I think it’s really necessary!

2. meppybn August 1, 2016 / 3:02 pm

Way to go, hubby!! I too dislike FB and have not looked at it for over a month, put it on the back page of my phone and off my toolbar. I still use Instagram but feel a lot more in control of that, strictly limiting who I follow and use it to show family what happening in my life. Go finish those tops!!

• Huelo August 2, 2016 / 7:46 pm

I’ll tell him you said that! I’m still on Instagram, too, but I agree it’s not as life-consuming, at least for me.

3. Jacquelyn Jantunen August 1, 2016 / 9:43 pm

Huge applause for going fb-free. I dislike fb intensely. Unless you’re extremely self disciplined it can suck away your life, or at least the productive part of it. My goal is to get off it completely. As soon as I find a way to play scrabble and see photos of the grandkid without it, I will joyfully delete it.

• Huelo August 2, 2016 / 7:46 pm

Way to go! Yes, the hardest part is giving up those photos and interactions that I do value, but I’ll let you know if the detox was worth it.

4. Jennifer August 2, 2016 / 2:18 am

No FB for me! And I am really considering giving up Instagram, for a bit.

• Huelo August 2, 2016 / 7:47 pm

Bravo! I’m inspired!

5. Viktoria Nasteva August 2, 2016 / 5:18 am

I didn’t use Facebook for over a year 2012-2013, and it was the most productive and probably happy I have ever been. … The summer of 2013 is when the first LOZENA collection launched … I always think about quitting again, but social media is such a big part of fashion and building an “audience,” which LOZENA really needs. Plus, I do love posting and looking at beautiful/cute photos, going on a good rant, and occasionally chatting with cool people who I have lost touch with. What to do?!

• Huelo August 2, 2016 / 7:52 pm

I totally agree, social media seems so necessary to building any sort of audience now. I’m using a dummy profile so I can still be admin for my professional pages, without personal access. We’ll see how it goes, I really dislike feeling like I *have* to have a certain social media presence, so to me it really felt like high time to give FB a break.
      That’s so good that you took a year off. Have you heard about this movement? I think it’s an interesting perspective. http://wagesforfacebook.com/

6. Mihaela August 5, 2016 / 1:11 pm

Unfortunately, I am a photographer and FB is essential to my business. I am considering limiting my account to only login to be able to update my photography (and a very small knitting) pages. I just can’t stand anymore all the aggression there. I would miss a lot wedding and baby news 😀 But I guess I can live with that.

• Huelo August 6, 2016 / 2:59 am

I totally agree about the aggressive tone on Facebook. So far I don’t miss it!

7. DavidTheEntertainer November 12, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Social media is great but I always found twitter and facebook to be all engrossing time wasting hobbies that just take chunks out of your life!